Monday, March 2, 2015

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Hey guys! Sorry it has taken me so long to post about the Gluten Free Naan Bread! You may have figured it didn't turn out very well because I didn't post about it soon - let me assure you that is NOT the case. This Gluten Free Naan Bread recipe was actually super delicious and I am posting about it late because I was too tired to blog that night (and all the other nights thereafter) once dinner was cooked and cleaned up...because I'm old and lame. Just kidding...I'm not really old.

I'm actually in my late 20's but I go to bed earlier now and I find it easier to attribute my bedtime to my age the older I get. Has anyone else on Facebook seen the quiz that's titled something like, "You know you're in your late 20's when..."? Well one of the topics in the article highlights people in their late 20's going to bed early on the nights they used to stay up late. One of the main reasons is because they want to be well rested for brunch the next day (because brunch is suddenly awesome to them). I chuckle because it's true but I still tell myself, "You're lame now...but wait remember how awesome brunch is...no, forget brunch, you're lame...but wait remember how awesome brunch is..." See? I'm in my late 20's, the quiz is accurate.

I digress. This Gluten Free Naan Bread ROCKED. OUR. WORLD. Granted, Ian and I could both be delirious from not having any bread for almost a month but nonetheless it really tasted like grainy pita bread. Yum!! I found this really simple recipe on this girl's blog, 3 Ingredient Paleo Naan and even though I kind of botched the first round it was sooooo good once I got it right. I did learn a valuable lesson in preparing Gluten Free Naan for the first time ever: Coconut Milk in a can is drastically different than Coconut Milk in a carton even when both are full fat. Because I couldn't find the Coconut Milk in a can, which the recipe calls for, I assumed I could substitute one for the other...nope. I was wrong. I was very, very wrong.

The coconut milk in a carton is much thinner because it is intended for foods like smoothies whereas the Coconut Milk in a can is much creamier and thicker in texture making it great for this recipe. When I used the coconut milk in a carton I ended up using twice as much almond and tapioca flour as the recipe called, which I wasn't happy about because that stuff is expensive. Learn from my mistake and remember to choose the coconut milk in a can if you're making this recipe! But again, I really am bonkers about stumbling across her blog because this recipe is versatile outside of the Naan. It will also work for pizza crust (which we TOTALLY did because we were so damn excited), pita bread, or even crepes - you just have to remember that with crepes you'll use less almond and tapioca flour in the recipe. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone who is curious to try it. Who knew gluten free could be so gluttonous?



Cooking Ingredients:

  • 1 can of Coconut Milk (full fat)
  • 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
  • 1/2 cup Almond Flour (add more if you want a thicker crust)
Cooking Directions:

  • In a medium size mixing bowl add all three ingredients
  • Stir them together until it is the consistency of cake batter
  • Preheat a non-stick large skillet or frying pan over medium heat
  • Pour the batter into the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown
If you want to make the pizza I made for myself here is everything you will need. (I will let you know that other than using 3 pepperoni on each pizza I did not measure any other topping but I did apply everything liberally.):

Pizza Toppings:

  • Organic Tomato & Basil Sauce
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • Garlic (Minced)
  • White Onion (Sliced)
  • 1 package of large pepperoni 
  • Prosciutto (Julienned)
  • Fresh Basil (Julienned)

Cooking Directions:

  • Preheat Oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Dress up your pizza crust to your preference and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until all of your ingredients have been cooked
  • Sprinkle the fresh basil on top of your pizza and serve right away

No comments:

Post a Comment